Sunday, April 3, 2016

Evidence Audio Monorail Bend/Stress Test

So how durable is this stiff cable? How much abuse can it take?

I solder my own patch cables out of these and neutrik jacks, and they are great, but I've been worried they might break if im not careful.

So, to put mr. monorail to the test I cut off a piece of cable and started to do 180 degree bends back and forth over my finger. After reaching one hundred bends I stopped to test continuity. Still works like a charm! I then cut the cable open to see if there was anything visible damage wise. And... not a damn thing. The copper shield and core are pretty much like new.

Just for kicks I cut the core copper wire out and continued to do 180 degree bends. I reached 70 pretty hard bends before the core finally broke.

To sum it all up, the monorail cable is surprisingly tough. The bends done to the cable in this test will almost never happen in real life situations if you take normal care of you patch cables.

No need to worry, rock on!

No comments:

Post a Comment